Monday, April 15, 2013

Crispy Vs. Crunchy and Recipe For Crispy Salad

I LOVE radishes. The taste fills my mouth and the crunch is so satisfying, and I swoon. Know what else rocks my world? Peanut butter and celery. I like celery as it is, but put peanut butter on it and it drives me nuts with awesomeness. Red, orange, and yellow sweet peppers with cream cheese...great googly moogly, that is the best combination!
What is crisp and what is crunch?

Crisp:
Apple slices, lettuces, snow peas, bell//sweet peppers, jicama slices (another flavor that sends me over the edge),

Crunch:
Whole apples, radishes, carrots, celery, cucumber, pickles (GOOD pickles), onion

I find that rabbits, at least my warren of rabbits, enjoy a combination of crispy and crunchy. Minnie will eat all the soft part of the romaine lettuce leaf, then save the crispy, juicy middle for last.  She is not so much a fan of crunchy things, but loves crispies. Meany loves all things crunchy first, and Fatty loves all things edible, period. Myra is still a bit of a mystery. She has not been offered enough of a variety for me to figure out what she enjoys most.

Here is my recipe for Crispy Salad.

Marinade:
In a bowl, combine:
 1/2 cup each rice wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar (the best is the unfiltered kind!) You could also use balsamic, but you would have to cut down on the added sugar/sweetener
1/2 cup light oil of your choice
1/4 cup apple juice or cider
mix it all up, add salt and pepper, to taste
add sweetener or sugar to desired sweetness

Salad:
SUPER THIN sliced
1 Granny Smith apply, plus two other apples of your choice
5-10 (depending on size) radishes
1 hot house English cucumber OR two regular cucumbers OR four small cucumbers
1/2 jicama (if you can find one)
1/4 cup of finely diced red onion (be careful, this onion can easily take over the whole dish)

Toss it all together and let it sit in the frig for a few hours to get super cold and all the flavors can marry. Snow peas are good in this dish as well.

Actually, all these measurements are approximate. I have never measured before, just tossed it all together. But you get the gist. You can add or subtract or substitute anything, really. But the Granny Smith apple, cucumber and radish is a MUST.

5 comments:

  1. Brandi, it sounds so good, so healthy. Now if I would just go do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds very yummy Brandi,I enjoyed our chat yesterday ,I feel like I've know you for ever...funny huh?oh and Speedy done a bunny roll in my arms last night...he's so adorable when he does that!,xx Rachel and Speedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Auntie Brandi,I've been cheeky...hehehe...I've just given you an award...hehehe,xxx Speedy

      Delete
    2. Rachel, a bunny roll in your arms! I've never even heard of anything so adorable. I have never felt so deprived...whimper, whimper...

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the concern! I was not running in Boston yesterday.

    Your post makes me want to try a radish. That, and I've been picking away at watching "Fraggle Rock." :)

    ReplyDelete